Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Mother's Day little Orchard

 Four years ago, I  decided that every Mother's Day, I was going to ask my husband and daughters that I wanted them to plant me a fruit tree  in our backyard. I thought it would remind me from my childhood. I had the best childhood that a kid could ever have. I grew up climbing fruit trees at my grandparents farm. Everything we would  eat since rice, beans, meat, vegetables, fruits, we had them all come from farm. I always wished I could give my little daughter a little bit of how I grew up. The first year we moved to this house, almost five years ago, my daughter and my husband planted me a pear tree. It's 2013 and this is the first year it is going to give us pears, The following year, they planted me a cherry tree, and this year we  got ONE little sweet cherry from it :) The following year they planted me an apple tree and last year I got two peaches tree. The peach tree had only ONE peach in it and it was simply huge, beautiful...I enjoyed so much going to the backyard and looking at my trees and watching the fruits getting big. it feels like they are just like my babies and the best gift I could ever have gotten.

We all here at home were wondering who would get to eat the very first peach... 
Today I thought, well, why not give Isabella and her little friends Chantel who spent the night at our house, to go and pick the first peach off the tree and share it between them. I don't know, but for some reason I wanted to teach my daughter a lesson. Something like, isn't this amazing that you guys planted me this fruit tree for  Mother's day and now  I give you the honor of having the very first fruit of it. I wanted them to realize that if they do good things to others, they will eventually have something good in return.
So, we had a "Harvesting the first ripen peach ceremony". 
The two girls went to the little peach tree, harvested the peach, we washed it and cut in half. I gave half peach to each one of them and watched them eating the peach. 

Isabella, says: - I don't think I like it I don't want this peach, I don't like this "pinkish" color inside. Chantel, started eating and then complained about texture of the skin feeling weird. I pealed it and she had some.  The ceremony was over in no time. They didn't appreciate it as much as I thought they would. oh well my husband and I ended up eating the rest of that peach and It was the most juicy, sweet peach we have ever had. Well, it was special because it came from the "Mother's Day Orchard" that is how we call our backyard now. I hope we are going to have many more trees planted there because our backyard is a little piece of paradise to us and mainly to me, a Mom who was raised in a farm and learned the value of, if we plant it, take care of it, we will eventually get fruits.

Maybe next year, when we have more fruits, Isabella will be a little older, I can try to teach her in a better way that in life, everything we plant, we will eventually end up harvesting. :) Let's plant good trees and good fruits will eventually be harvested!
Just wanted to share my peach tree ceremony :)
God bless
Zee
www.myfirstbirthdaydress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment